Equatorial Guinea

The following posts tell about my trip to Equatorial Guinea. Through words and photos I hope to succesfully share my experiences. I've decided to do this on a day by day basis. I hope you enjoy. If there's anything I may have missed, or something you'd like to know...please email me at michaelh@uwyo.edu. Thank you all for your unconditional support of me, both financially and spiritually. Without you, this trip wouldn't have happened. More on Africa here: http://53lat158long.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Day 4- Today we woke up on schedule only to find Lillian (one of the members of the drama team) and a few others waiting outside to be let in. As a result, we didn't get a devotional in on time. We packed up the majority of our gear and left for Luba, one of the bigger villages on the island.

Garrett and I got to ride in the back of the sweatwagon with the whole film crew. Imagine this little van packed with everybody's personal belongings, the film equipment, and 18 people. It was crammed! Fortunately, it was a rainy day, and wasn't as hot as some of the other days. The back door was partially open so that we could get some air flowing in there as well. Unfortunately, the rain kept seeping through the door and getting everybody in the back all wet. Garrett and I loaned our rain jackets out to the people sitting next the the door, and they were very thankful. Garrett was actually kind of sick for this trip, things were flowing through him pretty quickly. The trip was about an hour long drive through the jungle. At one point, we were actually stopped for construction on the road, and had to drive on a pretty rugged road for a few miles, which I'm sure Garrett just loved! I thought that I wouldn't have to deal with construction over here, but I was sorely mistaken. Being as Garrett and I weren't able to see the jungle on the drive, we were scheduled to drive back in the car on our return trip.

We stopped once at a little food stand selling some possums, and took some pictures with them. The next time we stopped was at a beach near Luba. There was a large memorial here as a memorial to those people caught in the slave trade and recognizing that this was one of the stops. Some of the plants here would shrink up and flatten themselves to the ground when you touched them. Everything in the jungle is designed to eat something else in the jungle. Therefore, everything in the jungle also needs some sort of defense mechanism.

We stopped a third time in the village of Luba to go to the bathroom, and figure out where we would be staying. The villages seemed to be much cleaner than the city. The people living here take pride in their village, and therefore make efforts to keep it clean.

Upon arrival at the showing area, we took out our cameras and started taking some pictures of the area. Some of the locals noticed our nice cameras and begun asking us for money saying that their family was sick and needed money for medication. This could have been true, but in reality the money probably would have been spent on food or alcohol. These people usually didn't look very healthy, and you could occasionally smell the alcohol on their breaths. Fortunately, they were the minority, but we were still careful where we whipped our cameras out.

The church we would be staying at for the next couple of days was just down the road from the showing area. It was a Methodist church. Apparently, somewhere around the 1850's the Methodists did some major missionary work in this part of the world.

We spent the afternoon getting acquainted with this part of the village, helping out where we could, but mostly just relaxing. As we were eating our lunch, Lillian brought in a small monkey. It was the first live creature that we had seen, other than bugs and bats. By the way, the bats here are the size of large pigeons, and they cloud the sky at night. We busied ourselves taking pictures with the young monkey for a little while. After a little while, Lillian told us that this monkey was just a toddler, and that there was an even bigger one up the road. We took the little monkey back, and were guided to this bigger monkey. His name was Jonny, and he was some sort of huge baboon. He was nearly three feet tall sitting down, and he wasn't very happy about his visitors. He immediately began grunting, and showing his teeth. One of the keepers asked if he could have the Coke I had been drinking, and I happily gave it to him. The keeper slowly made his way to Jonny, and set the Coke in front of him. As it turns out, Jonny really likes Coke. He immediately picked it up and started drinking from it.

It was my turn to give my testimony in between reels at tonight's showing. Kileto translated for me. I'm sure it was pretty boring, and I left some stuff out because I was nervous for some reason, but I'll have another chance later. Compared to the showing in the city, this one was fairly small. It still went extremely well, and about 15 people were saved tonight.

At nearly every showing, there was some sort of major distraction during the most important parts. Tonight, a drunk man came and started yelling stuff to be "funny" and obnoxious during the crucifixion and resurrection. He eventually fell asleep directly under us, in the dried up fountain in the center of the plaza. I pray that something got through to him.


Post a Comment

<< Home