Equatorial Guinea

The following posts tell about my trip to Equatorial Guinea. Through words and photos I hope to succesfully share my experiences. I've decided to do this on a day by day basis. I hope you enjoy. If there's anything I may have missed, or something you'd like to know...please email me at michaelh@uwyo.edu. Thank you all for your unconditional support of me, both financially and spiritually. Without you, this trip wouldn't have happened. More on Africa here: http://53lat158long.blogspot.com/

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Day 7- Today was our day to just completely relax, hang out, and build relationships with all the people we've been working with. We woke up to the sounds of the ocean, it was wonderful. Stokes actually felt a little ashamed, because he had to wrap something around his head to keep the ocean noise down during the night so he could get to sleep. I slept on my pad on the ground, and had to watch out for the little hermit crabs scurrying all over the place.

Two of the girls on the drama team had caught a turtle earlier in the morning, and were waiting to show it to us. We heard "tortuga" and came running. It was a baby sea turtle, a very beautiful creature.

Not too long after we woke up the fishermen started bringing out their canoes to go fishing. These are the type of canoes that are carved completely out of one tree. They gave us some rides in them, and let us goof off in a few of the extras beforehand. Stokes and I went out a little ways with one guy, and he told us it was deep enough to dive in. I did, Stokes didn't...I ended up swimming back to shore. It's funny that the first time I swam in the Atlantic was off the coast of Africa, I never would have foreseen that one.

Benito and Juan Pedro busied themselves setting up a small soccer field on the beach, while the rest of us played around in the ocean. Once we were done in the ocean, we all came and got a small soccer game going. It was a lot of fun. While we were playing soccer, the people that weren't playing busied themselves barbecuing chicken and plantanes over an open fire. That was quite possibly the best chicken I've ever had. The plantanes were a little dry...they seemed like I was eating a plain baked potato, only drier.

Today was most definitely the day that our relationships with everybody grew the most. I treasured it immensely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home