Equatorial Guinea

The following posts tell about my trip to Equatorial Guinea. Through words and photos I hope to succesfully share my experiences. I've decided to do this on a day by day basis. I hope you enjoy. If there's anything I may have missed, or something you'd like to know...please email me at michaelh@uwyo.edu. Thank you all for your unconditional support of me, both financially and spiritually. Without you, this trip wouldn't have happened. More on Africa here: http://53lat158long.blogspot.com/

Friday, September 08, 2006

Day 8- Today was our day to shop and be tourists. I wasn't really looking forward to it, and kind of felt like there was more we could have been doing. It turned out being alright, and everybody seemed to have a good time. If we saw something we like, we were supposed to get Carlos or one of the locals to barter for us.

The vendors at most of the shops we went to were either intoxicated already, or noticed that we were white and gave us outrageously high prices for their stuff. Carlos knew the vendors at one of the shops we went to, so their prices were reasonable. Unfortunately, it was the second shop we went to, so we didn't really realize it. Most of the items were little hand carved animals, or wallets...stuff like that. I didn't really want a trinket, I wanted to find something unique to the part of the world I was in.

After we stopped at a few of the shops, we went to one of the markets nearby. It was very densely packed with just stuff....clothing, food, furniture, toys, games, mattresses, tools...everything. In honor of the World Cup, Garrett, Stokes and I all wanted to get some Equatorial Guinea soccer jerseys. While we were doing this, another military official stopped Andy and asked to see his identification...once again trying to eventually get some money out of him. Carlos quickly shot down his efforts once again.

Togo was playing South Korea while we were in the market. Every stand we passed had a TV with this game playing on it. At one point, Togo scored a goal and the whole market absolutely erupted! It was insane! One of the vendors decided to point out how horrible the US is at soccer, and told us that we lost by 3-0 to the Czech Republic. We had to quietly agree, but knew that they are definitely getting better.

George and Kileto were leaving the next day, so that night we had a little council. We talked about things that went well, and things that could have gone better. It was like our debriefing session. For the most part, the only complaints were about the occasional lack of organization and passing down of information that I mentioned earlier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home