Equatorial Guinea

The following posts tell about my trip to Equatorial Guinea. Through words and photos I hope to succesfully share my experiences. I've decided to do this on a day by day basis. I hope you enjoy. If there's anything I may have missed, or something you'd like to know...please email me at michaelh@uwyo.edu. Thank you all for your unconditional support of me, both financially and spiritually. Without you, this trip wouldn't have happened. More on Africa here: http://53lat158long.blogspot.com/

Friday, September 08, 2006

Day 9- Today is our last day in Equatorial Guinea. We got up, ate, had our devotional, and made our way to the American Embassy so Garrett could get his passport looked at by one of the officials. When we arrived there was some guy peeing on the wall nearby, which didn't really strike me as entirely odd until I got back to the States. Anyways, we all went into the front room and waited while Garrett and Andy went inside. I can officially say that I stood on US soil while in Africa. The ambassador Garrett talked to said it was a good thing that we stopped by to get his passport checked out, and that she could have printed another one off for him if we weren't leaving that night. She made some calls to make sure that he wasn't going to have any trouble on our return trip and told us to call her if we did.

After the embassy, we all went back to the school to hang out with the kids again. One thing I noticed is that the education here is very basic. For example, at one point Garrett was explaining to Benito (one of the drama team guys) about some cheap earthquake-proof houses one of the professors here helped to build in Mexico, and Benito asked if the earthquakes were caused by the mass amounts of people. It's not that Benito isn't bright, he is in fact very sharp, it's just that he had no way of knowing about plate tectonics or anything like that. It's things like this that we people in America take for granted all the time. I would say that I'm a pretty down to earth guy, but this trip really emphasized all the little things that I take for granted all the time.

I was glad to be back at the school and hang out with the little kids. If there was one thing that really touched my heart on this trip, it was definitely the kids and how constantly joyful they are. Most of them were sick in someway, but you couldn't wipe those smiles or glittering smiles off their faces if you tried.

This time, I got to ride back with the kids as they were all dropped off. I had wanted to do that since the first day when I got out at the church. This allowed me to see a huge portion of the city, not just the little part that I had been staying in. Most of the kids we dropped off were in really slummy parts of the city, and they hardly ever had anyone waiting for them. Suza, the cutest girl in the world, was one of the only ones who had a parent waiting for her as we dropped her off.

During the afternoon, we went back to the shop with the vendors that Carlos knew. There are the most beautiful pictures made entirely of butterfly wings here that are very unique to Africa. Stokes, Garrett, Bolzer, Andy and I all decided to pool some money and get six of them. I encourage you to stop by my parents house to see them, I guarantee you will be impressed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home